Michael Adebolajo Parents Statement Essay
Relatives of Adebolajo said they shared the nation’s horror at the “senseless killing” and sent their condolences to the loved ones of the 25-year-old soldier.
In an emotional statement, the suspect’s family condemned terrorism and said they expected his killers to be brought to justice.
Adebolajo, 28, was brought up as a Christian but converted to Islam in his teens.
Shortly after last Wednesday’s killing, he was pictured on video with bloodied hands carrying a meat cleaver – an image which left his relatives stunned and sickened.
His father Anthony, a nurse, and other family members said in a statement: “Nothing we say can undo the events of last week.
“However, as a family, we wish to share with others our horror at the senseless killing of Lee Rigby and express our profound shame and distress that this has brought on our family.”
They added: “We send our heartfelt condolence to Lee Rigby’s family and loved ones. We wish so state openly that we believe that there is no place for violence in the name of religion or politics.
“We believe all right-thinking members of society share this view wherever they were born and whatever their religion and political beliefs.
“We wholeheartedly condemn all those who engage in acts of terror and fully reject any suggestion by them that religion or politics can justify this kind of violence.
“We unreservedly put our faith in the rule of law and with others fully expect that all the perpetrators will be brought to justice under the law of the land.
“And we pray for Lee Rigby’s soul to rest in peace, for the Lord to comfort his parents and loved ones and provide all of us affected the strength and fortitude to cope with this tragedy.”
Adebolajo and the other suspect, Michael Adebowale, 22, are set to be charged within days.
They are likely to appear at top security Woolwich Magistrates’ Court a short distance from the scene of the killing near Woolwich Barracks in south-east London.
The two men were arrested in hospital after they were shot by armed police as Drummer Rigby lay dead in the street.
Yesterday, Adebowale was discharged by doctors and taken under armed guard to a police station where he was re-arrested on suspicion of the attempted murder of a police officer.
A Scotland Yard spokeswoman said: “He remains in custody and will be interviewed by detectives from the Metropolitan Police Service Counter Terrorism Command.”
Officers have a maximum of 96 hours from the time he was taken to the police station before they have to charge or release him.
Adebolajo is expected to leave hospital within days.
Last night, police were still questioning a tenth suspect arrested over the death of Drummer Rigby.
A 50-year-old man was detained on Monday by police in balaclavas and armed with machineguns at a house in Welling, south London.
Witness Shaun Derbyshire, 36, said: “There were about six of them. They stopped me in the road. They had machine-guns and black balaclavas and one of them shouted, ‘Stop! Police!’ “It’s terrifying to think you live near someone who might have something to do with the killing.”
Apart from the two murder suspects, eight people have been arrested on suspicion of conspiracy to murder Drummer Rigby.
Five were later released on police bail pending further inquiries.
Two women were briefly held before being released with no further police action.
In addition, Abu Nusaybah was held after he claimed in an interview with BBC2’s Newsnight that MI5 tried to recruit Adebolajo. He can be held until Friday.
The mother of Woolwich murderer Michael Adebowale last night begged his victim’s family for forgiveness.
Probation officer Juliet Obasuyi, 52, appealed to Lee Rigby’s mother Lyn: “I want you to find a space in your heart to forgive Michael for what he has done.
“He was such a sweet boy but something happened to him and we lost him. We’re sorry. I really condemn what happened. It’s harrowing, disgusting, senseless.
“My desire would be to meet Lee’s family and express my heartfelt condolences, because I think we’ve both lost our sons.
“I’d say sorry to them. My heart goes out to them. They don’t deserve this. It’s sad Lee had to pay with his life. I’m gutted and shocked he had a part in this.
“As much as they don’t have Lee around any more, I have lost my son. I cannot comprehend.”
Her son, 22, and Michael Adebolajo, 29, were told they face life behind bars and will be sentenced in the new year.
She said Michael - raised as a Christian - had been a shy boy who was bullied at school, and became a Muslim at 17 to protect himself from local gangs after he witnessed a friend being murdered.
But he was drawn in to extremism, and his mother was so concerned she befriended the mosque he attended to speak with its Imam.
Mrs Obasuyi said her thoughts were with drummer Rigby’s widow Rebecca and three-year-old son Jack.
She went on: “I’m so, so sad about this and grieving as much as they are. I don’t know how I’m going to put my life together again.
“I trusted my son. I did all I could to bring him up very well. I am still shocked that this has happened to him.
“He was quite vulnerable, but I think also a victim. I am just so sorry. I wish I could make things better again.
“No more of this violence, these violent killings again.”
Friends said Adebowale had been a “lovely boy” but became involved in some “serious trouble” as a teenager – then turned to Islam.
Mrs Obasuyi told how her son had fallen under the spell of the older Adebolajo, and has been on suicide watch since having psychotic episodes in which he saw "Christian angels" trying to lure him back from Islam.
Speaking about the first time she visited him in custody, Mrs Obasuyi said her son cried as she held his hand and told her he wanted to die.