Journal Essay Prompts
Journals are a wonderful way to express ideas. There is no right or wrong way to journal. Respond in any way that makes sense to you. Be creative! Use your imagination! You may include illustrations, but the goal is to work with your words.
Journal Prompts by Essay Type:
Additional Prompts (download as a pdf)
1. If I were the teacher, I would...
2. If I could give one piece of advice to any person in history, that advice would be...
3. Describe a dream that you had recently. Provide as many details as possible.
4. The best lesson my grandparent (or parent or any relative) ever taught me was...
5. [on the day after the Grammy Awards are announced.] Do you think the right artists won? Why or why not?
6. Tell five things you'd like to do on your next birthday.
7. Imagine a friend of yours is considering whether to take steroids. What would you tell that friend to persuade him or her not to do that?
8. In 20 years, I will be...
9. Tell about an event in your life that has caused a change in you.
10. I was most angry when...
11. If you could design one room in a house to suit only your needs, what would it look like? (Challenge kids to be as fanciful as they like. For example, would someone have a desk made of chocolate?)
12. Describe your perfect vacation.
13. My worst mistake was...
14. [for high-school students.] Do you believe in love at first sight?
15. If you and your best friend could have a free limo for 24 hours, where would you go and what would you do?
16. You have the freedom to travel to any city or country in the world. Where would you go and why?
17. What would you do if you were president of the United States?
18. You have an extra $100,000 to give away; you cannot spend it on yourself. What would you do with the money?
19. The qualities that make a best friend are...
20. If you were an insect, what kind would you be and why?
21. Describe your room at home in detail. What are you proudest of and why?
22. [using a current local controversy] Do you agree with the decision? Why? Would you change if anything? What?
1. What is something you dislike about yourself?
2. What is something you do well?
3. What is your favourite room in your home and why?
4. What is a good neighbour?
5. What is the worst thing parents can do to their children?
6. What is your favourite time of day?
7. What is your idea of a dull evening?
8. What is the best way to treat meddlesome people?
9. What is something you are optimistic about?
10. What is something you are pessimistic about?
11. What is your most indispensable possession and why?
12. What is the meaning of "He laughs best who laughs last"?
13. What is your favourite song and why?
14. What is the best birthday present you ever received?
15. What is the best birthday present you could receive?
16. What is something that makes you feel sad?
17. What is your favourite book and why?
18. What is something that really bugs you?
19. What is something that really makes you angry?
20. What is the best advice you ever received?
21. What is your favourite holiday? What makes this holiday special?
22. What is your favourite day of the week?
23. What is your favourite month? Why?
1. What would happen if you could fly whenever you wanted? When would you use this ability?
2. What would happen if there were no television? Why would this be good? bad?
3. What would happen if everyone lived in space? What type of houses would they live in? What type of clothing would they wear? What type of food would they eat? How would they travel?
4. What if cows gave root beer instead of milk?
5. What if all the streets were rivers? What would be different?
6. What would happen if people never co-operated? Why do you think it is important to co-operate?
7. What would happen if it really did rain cats and dogs?
8. What would happen if animals could talk? What are some of the questions you would like to ask animals?
9. What would happen if you could become invisible whenever you wanted to? What are some of the things you could do that you cannot do now?
10. What would happen if everyone wore the same clothes?
11. What would happen if you threw a piece of trash on the ground? What if everyone did?
12. What if you could walk up walls and across ceilings?
13. What would happen if you loved your neighbour as yourself? What if everyone did?
14. What would happen if you grew taller than trees? How would this change your life?
15. What would happen if children ruled the world?
16. What would happen if there were no cars, buses, trains, boats, or planes? How would this change your life?
17. What if everyone lived under water? Where would people live? What games would children play? What would school be like?
18. What would happen if you found gold in your backyard?
19. What would you do if a bully bothered you on your way home?
20. What would you do if you did very poorly of a test?
21. What would you do if a friend borrows things from you but never returns them?
22. What would you do if You were the teacher and everyone forgot his homework?
23. What would you do if you were in the middle of the lake and your boat began to leak?
24. What would you do if Your friend had a broken leg? How would you cheer him up?
25. What would you do if you saw little bugs in your salad?
26. What would you do if you woke up in another country and no one could understand you?
27. What would you do if you ordered an ice cream cone and you forgot to bring money?
28. What would you do if someone got in front of you when you were in line at the movies?
29. What would you do if your jelly sandwich fell upside down on the floor?
30. What would you do if only one hot dog is left and neither you nor your friend have had one?
31. What would you do if two of your best friends went to the movies without inviting you?
32. What would you do if the surprise party was for you but you weren't surprised?
33. What would you do if you got a present you didn't like?
34. What would you do if you were at home and your homework was at school?
35. What would you do if you dropped the cookie jar and it broke?
36. What would you do if you were invited to two parties on the same day?
37. What would you do if you promised to feed your pet and you didn't?
38. What would you do if someone said you did something wrong and you didn't?
39. What would you do if your new shoes felt fine in the store but now they are hurting?
40. What would you do if someone told you a joke that you don't think is funny?
41. What would you do if an hour before the party you remember you don't have a gift?
42. What would you do if a friend comes to your house and his/her mom doesn't know he's/she's there?
43. What would you do if you had four math problems marked wrong that were right?
44. What would you do if you found in the street?
45. What would you do if you found a magic wand?
46. What would you do if you wanted to be friends with someone who spoke no English?
47. What would you say if someone told you it was all right to steal from a large department store?
48. What would you do if you saw a friend cheating--report it, confront the friend, nothing--and why?
49. If you could have been someone in history, who would you have been?
50. If you could only take 3 people with you on a trip around the world, who would you take and why?
51. If you could give any gift in the world, what would you give and to whom?
52. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would it be?
53. If you received any sum of money as a gift, what would you do with it?
54. If you could do whatever you wanted to right now, what would you do?
55. If you were principal of this school, what would you do?
56. If you were a mouse in your house in the evening, what would you see your family doing?
57. If you were five years older you would...
58. If you were lost in the woods and it got dark, what would you do?
59. If it were your job to decide what shows can be on t.v., how would you choose?
60. If there were no rules, what do you think would happen?
61. If you owned a store, what would you do to discourage people from stealing from you?
62. If you could participate in an Olympic event, which one would you choose and why? If you could break the Guiness Book of Records it would be for?
63. If you had to describe yourself as a colour, which would you choose?
64. If your friend told you of a secret plan to run away from home, what would you do and why?
What do you think...
1. What do you think of 3D movies?
2. What do you think someone your age can do to help reduce the amount of pollution in our environment?
3. What do you think the world needs now?
4. What do you think your friends say to each other when you're not around?
5. What do you think about the amount of violence on T.V.?
6. What do you think about people polluting the environment?
7. What do you think about having set rules for people to follow?
8. What do you think about people who are inconsiderate of others?
9. What do you think should be done to keep people who are under the influence of alcohol off the road?
10. What do you think the world will be like when you are a grown up?
11. What do you think about ghosts?
12. What do you think of someone who has bad manners?
13. What do you think about people who take advantage of others?
14. What do you think about when you can't fall asleep?
15. What do you think courage means?
16. What do you think makes a good friend?
17. What do you think makes a happy family?
18. What pollutants do you think do the most damage and why?
19. What things do you think are beautiful?
1. What do you like most about yourself?
2. What do you like to do in your free time?
3. What kind of animal would you like to be and why?
4. What kind of trophy would you like to win?
5. What TV or movie star would you like to invite to your birthday party?
6. What does "Clothes make the person" mean to you?
7. What does "Have your cake and eat it too" mean to you?
8. What does "The early bird gets the worm" mean to you?
9. What do we mean when we say, "The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence"?
10. What does "You can't take it with you" mean?
11. What do we mean when we say, "You can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar"?
12. What do we mean when we say, "Hitch your wagon to a star"?
13. What does "still waters run deep" mean to you?
14. What does "There are two sides to every coin" mean to you?
15. What does Canada mean to you?
16. What are you afraid of? Why?
17. What are junk foods?
18. What are some nutritious foods that you like?
19. What are some rules you have to follow at home?
20. What are some examples of prejudice?
21. What is more important to you, appearance or personality?
22. What is most important to you in a friend--loyalty, generosity, honesty--why?
23. What is something that makes you melancholy?
24. What makes your best friend your best friend?
25. What makes you feel safe?
26. What makes you laugh?
27. What would you invent to make life better?
28. What would you do to entertain your family without spending any money?
29. What effects does watching violence have on people?
30. What effects do cigarette and alcohol advertising have on young people?
31. What kind of t.v. commercial would you like to make? Describe it.
32. What kind of pet would you most like to have--monkey, snake, goat--why?
33. What kind of program do you enjoy most on TV--detective shows, comedies, game shows--and why?
34. What advice would you give a new student?
35. What advice would you give to someone who stole something but now feels guilty?
36. What things are better than going to school? Why?
37. What talents do you have?
38. What three words would describe you right now?
39. What four things are most important in your life?
40. What colour makes you think of happiness?
41. What has been the most fun activity at school so far?
42. What quality do you like about yourself--creativity, personality, appearance--why?
43. What eccentric behaviour in a friend disturbs you the most?
44. What parts of nature do you like best?
45. What do you do for exercise?
1. How do you feel when it's your birthday? Why?
2. How do you feel on the first day of winter? Why?
3. How would you feel if you were going to be on a show? Why?
4. How do you feel when you do something wrong?
5. How do you feel when you do something that is very good?
6. How do you feel when you play a trick on someone?
7. How would you feel if a new child moved into your neighbourhood?
8. How do you think the new child would feel?
9. How do you feel when you have had a fight with your best friend?
10. How do you think your friend felt?
11. How do you feel when you are in bed with the lights out?
12. How do you feel when you want something very badly and you cannot have it? Why is this so important to have?
13. How do you feel on a warm sunny day?
14. How do you feel when you stay with a babysitter?
15. How do you feel when you're leaving home on vacation?
16. How do you feel when you sleep at someone's house?
17. How do you feel during a thunderstorm?
18. How do you feel on the first day of school?
19. How do you feel when your parents are upset with you? Why do they become upset with you?
20. How do you feel on Thanksgiving? What are you thankful for?
21. How do feel on (any holiday)?
22. How do you feel when something scares you? What do you do when this happens?
23. How would you feel if someone told you that you were his or her best friend?
24. How do you feel about your appearance?
25. How would you change the world to make it better?
26. How do you think eating junk food affects you?
27. How do you have the most fun--alone, with a large group, with a few friends--and why?
28. Explain how to play your favorite game.
1. I wish I had a million... Then I would...
2. I wish I had one... because
3. I wish I could be like.... This person is special because....
4. I wish to be a ________ when I grow up. Then I will....
5. I wish there were a law that said..... This would be a good law because....
6. I wish I could forget the time I ..... because....
7. I wish trees could..... because....
8. I wish I could see...... because.....
9. I wish I could learn..... because.....
10. I wish I didn't have to eat...... I don't like this food because.....
11. I wish everyone would learn to ..... Then everyone would.....
12. I wish I never......
13. I wish I had one more chance to..... Then I would.....
14. I wish there was an electric......
15. I wish I had enough money to......
16. I wish everyone loved......
17. I wish all children would......
18. I wish everyone had.....
19. I wish I could touch......
20. I wish animals could...... If they could, then.....
21. I wish I looked like.... because......
22. I wish there were no more.....
23. I wish I didn't have to.....
24. I wish I could go to.....
25. I wish there really was..... If there really was, then.....
26. I wish I could hear......
27. I wish I could give......
28. If all my wishes came true, I would......
1. Describe a time when you felt vengeful.
2. Describe your favourite toy. Why do you like it best?
3. Describe the most ludicrous outfit you can think of.
4. Describe the best teacher you ever had.
1. When you are angry, how do you look?
2. When are you happiest?
3. When have you felt lonely?
4. When do you feel proud?
5. When was the last time you cried and why?
6. When a friend was in an embarrassing situation, what did you do?
7. When it might hurt their feelings, how do you feel about telling your friends the truth?
8. When might it be bad to be honest?
9. When someone picks on someone else, how do you feel? What do you do?
10. Once, when you were very frightened, what happened?
11. Once, when you were embarrassed, what happened?
12. Once, when your feelings were hurt, what happened?
1. Which quality best describes your life--exciting, organised, dull--and why?
2. Which quality do you dislike most about yourself--laziness, selfishness, childishness--and why?
3. Which place would you most like to visit--Africa, China, Alaska--why?
4. Which holiday has the most meaning for you-Independence Day, Thanksgiving, Valentines Day--and why?
5. Which is least important to you--money, power, fame--and why?
6. Which is most important to you--being popular, accomplishing things, being organised--and why?
1. Who do you talk to when you have a problem?
2. Who is your favourite Star Wars character (or other movie/book/t.v. show, etc.)?
3. Who or what has had a strong influence in your life?
1. Where would you prefer to be right now--mountains, desert, beach--and why?
2. Why is it important to be honest?
3. Why is important to have good manners?
4. Why do you think adults smoke/drink?
5. Why is exercise important to someone your age?
6. Why do you think some people encourage others to smoke/drink?
7. Why do you think the rules you must follow are good or bad?
8. Why would it be good to be honest?
9. Why have men and women usually only done certain types of work?
10. Why should or shouldn't a man stay home to care for the house and children while his wife goes to work?
11. Why do you think some people take advantage of others?
12. Why do you think prejudice exists in the world?
13. Why would we say that someone is "passing the buck"?
14. Why would a President have a sign on his desk which read, "The buck stops here"?
15. Why do you think tact is an important quality?
16. Why is it not wise to squander your money?
17. Explain why we say, "dead as a door nail".
1. Do you think there is too much fighting on t.v. Why or why not?
2. Do you think it is necessary to have alcohol at a party in order to have a good time?
3. Does it bother you to be around someone who has bad manners?
4. Should there be a dress code in places such as school, restaurants, and places of business? Why or why not?
5. Should animals be used for medical research?
6. Should the American Government financially support Olympic teams?
7. Should people be prohibited from smoking in certain places?
8. Families are important because...
9. Would you like to be famous? Why or why not? What would you like to be famous for?
Updated, March 2, 2017 | We published an updated version of this list, “650 Prompts for Narrative and Personal Writing,” as well as a companion piece, “401 Prompts for Argumentative Writing.”
Every school day since 2009 we’ve asked students a question based on an article in The New York Times. Now, five years later, we’ve collected 500 of them that invite narrative and personal writing and pulled them all together in one place (available here as a PDF).
The categorized list below touches on everything from sports to travel, education, gender roles, video games, fashion, family, pop culture, social media and more, and, like all our Student Opinion questions, each links to a related Times article and includes a series of follow-up questions. What’s more, all these questions are still open for comment by any student 13 or older.
So dive into this admittedly overwhelming list and pick the questions that most inspire you to tell an interesting story, describe a memorable event, observe the details in your world, imagine a possibility, or reflect on who you are and what you believe.
- What Was Your Most Precious Childhood Possession?
- What Were Your Favorite Childhood Shows and Characters?
- What Were Your Favorite Picture Books When You Were Little?
- What Things Did You Create When You Were a Child?
- What Places Do You Remember Fondly From Childhood?
- Have You Ever Felt Embarrassed by Things You Used to Like?
- Do You Wish You Could Return to Moments From Your Past?
- Was There a Toy You Wanted as a Child but Never Got?
- What Objects Tell the Story of Your Life?
- What Are Your Best Sleepover Memories?
- What’s the Best Gift You’ve Ever Given or Received?
- What’s the Most Memorable Thing You Ever Got in the Mail?
- What Nicknames Have You Ever Gotten or Given?
- What Have You Learned in Your Teens?
- What Personal Achievements Make You Proud?
- What Are Some Recent Moments of Happiness in Your Life?
- What Are You Grateful For?
- What Rites of Passage Have You Participated In?
- What Advice Would You Give Younger Kids About Middle or High School?
- What Can Older People Learn From Your Generation?
- What Do Older Generations Misunderstand About Yours?
- Who Is Your Family?
- What Have You and Your Family Accomplished Together?
- What Events Have Brought You Closer to Your Family?
- What’s Your Role in Your Family?
- Have You Ever Changed a Family Member’s Mind?
- How Do You Define ‘Family’?
- What Are Your Family Stories of Sacrifice?
- What Possessions Does Your Family Treasure?
- What Hobbies Have Been Passed Down in Your Family?
- How Much Do You Know About Your Family’s History?
- Did Your Parents Have a Life Before They Had Kids?
- How Close Are You to Your Parents?
- How Are You and Your Parents Alike and Different?
- Do Your Parents Support Your Learning?
- What Have Your Parents Taught You About Money?
- Do You Expect Your Parents to Give You Money?
- How Permissive Are Your Parents?
- Do You Have Helicopter Parents?
- How Do Your Parents Teach You to Behave?
- How Do You Make Parenting Difficult for Your Parents?
- If You Drink or Use Drugs, Do Your Parents Know?
- Do You Talk About Report Cards With Your Parents?
- Would You Mind if Your Parents Blogged About You?
- How Well Do You Get Along With Your Siblings?
- How Well Do You Know Your Pet?
- What Role Do Pets Play in Your Family?
- What Is Your Racial and Ethnic Identity?
- Have You Ever Tried to Hide Your Racial or Ethnic Identity?
- How Do You Feel About Your Last Name?
- What’s the Story Behind Your Name?
- What Are Your Favorite Names?
- How Have You Paid Tribute to Loved Ones?
- Would You Most Want to Live in a City, a Suburb or the Country?
- How Much Does Your Neighborhood Define Who You Are?
- What’s Special About Your Hometown?
- What Would You Name Your Neighborhood?
- Who Is the ‘Mayor’ of Your School or Neighborhood?
- Who Are the ‘Characters’ That Make Your Town Interesting?
- What Would a TV Show About Your Town Spoof?
- What ‘Urban Legends’ Are There About Places in Your Area?
- What Local Problems Do You Think Your Mayor Should Try to Solve?
- Do You Know Your Way Around Your City or Town?
- Have You Ever Interacted With the Police?
- How Often Do You Interact With People of Another Race or Ethnicity?
- Who Would Be the Ideal Celebrity Neighbor?
- What Is Your Favorite Place?
- How Much Time Do You Spend in Nature?
- What Small Things Have You Seen and Taken Note Of Today?
- What Would Your Dream Home Be Like?
- What is Your Favorite Place in Your House?
- How Important Is Keeping a Clean House?
- Is Your Bedroom a Nightmare?
- Do You Plan on Saving Any of Your Belongings for the Future?
- With Your Home in Danger, What Would You Try to Save?
- What Would You Put in Your Emergency ‘Go-Bag’?
- Have You Ever Lost (or Found) Something Valuable?
- What Is Your Personal Credo?
- What Motivates You?
- What Makes You Happy?
- What Are You Good At?
- How Much Self-Control Do You Have?
- How Good Are You at Waiting for What You Really Want?
- What Role Does Procrastination Play in Your Life?
- When in Your Life Have You Been a Leader?
- How Well Do You Perform Under Pressure?
- How Well Do You Take Criticism?
- Are You Hard or Easy on Yourself?
- How Full Is Your Glass?
- Do You Have a Hard Time Making Decisions?
- How Good Are You at Time Management?
- How Productive and Organized Are You?
- How Would Your Life Be Different if You Had Better Listening Skills?
- How Competitive Are You?
- Do You Perform Better When You’re Competing or When You’re Collaborating?
- Do You Take More Risks When You Are Around Your Friends?
- Do You Unknowingly Submit to Peer Pressure?
- How Much of a Daredevil Are You?
- What Pranks, Jokes, Hoaxes or Tricks Have You Ever Fallen For or Perpetrated?
- How Do You React When Provoked?
- How Often Do You Cry?
- Do You Think You’re Brave?
- What Are You Afraid Of?
- What Are Your Fears and Phobias?
- What Are Your Personal Superstitions?
- Do You Like Being Alone?
- How Impulsive Are You?
- Are You a Novelty-Seeker?
- What Annoys You?
- Do You Apologize Too Much?
- Do You Have Good Manners?
- Are You a Saver or a Tosser?
- Are You More Introvert or Extrovert?
- Are You Popular, Quirky or Conformist?
- Are You a Nerd or a Geek?
- What Would Your Personal Mascot Be?
- What Assumptions Do People Make About You?
- What Challenges Have You Overcome?
- What Do You Do When You Encounter Obstacles to Success?
- What Are Your Secret Survival Strategies?
- How Do You Find Peace in Your Life?
- How Have You Handled Being the ‘New Kid’?
- Do You Ever Feel Overlooked and Underappreciated?
- How Stressed Are You?
- How Do You Relieve Stress?
- Does Stress Affect Your Ability to Make Good Decisions?
- What Challenges Have You Set for Yourself?
- How Often Do You Leave Your ‘Comfort Zone’?
- What Did You Once Hate but Now Like?
- Does Your Life Leave You Enough Time to Relax?
- Do You Set Rules for Yourself About How You Use Your Time?
- Is ‘Doing Nothing’ a Good Use of Your Time?
- What’s Cluttering Up Your Life?
- What Work Went Into Reaching Your Most Difficult Goals?
- When Have You Ever Failed at Something? What Happened as a Result?
- When Have You Ever Succeeded When You Thought You Might Fail?
- What Life Lessons Has Adversity Taught You?
- What’s the Most Challenging Assignment You’ve Ever Had?
- What Kind of Feedback Helps You Improve?
- Is Trying Too Hard to Be Happy Making You Sad?
- Do Adults Who Are ‘Only Trying to Help’ Sometimes Make Things Worse?
- What Are Five Everyday Problems That Bother You, and What Can You Do About Them?
- How Do Male and Female Roles Differ in Your Family?
- Do Parents Have Different Hopes and Standards for Their Sons Than for Their Daughters?
- Is There Too Much Pressure on Girls to Have ‘Perfect’ Bodies?
- How Much Pressure Do Boys Face to Have the Perfect Body?
- How Did You Learn About Sex?
- How Should Parents Address Internet Pornography?
- What Experiences Have You Had With Gender Bias in School?
- What Have Been Your Experiences With Catcalling or Other Kinds of Street Harassment?
- Do You Know Boys Who Regard Girls as ‘Prey’?
- Do You Consider Yourself a Feminist?
- How Do You Help?
- What Ethical Dilemmas Have You Faced?
- Would You Help an Injured Stranger?
- When Is the Last Time You Did Something Nice for a Stranger?
- Have You Ever ‘Paid It Forward’?
- How Much Do You Gossip?
- How Comfortable Are You With Lying?
- Have You Ever Taken Something You Weren’t Supposed To?
- What Could You Live Without?
- Do You Ever Feel Guilty About What, or How Much, You Throw Away?
- Do You Ever Eavesdrop?
- How Important Is Your Spiritual Life?
- Do You Believe That Everything Happens for a Reason?
- Can You Be Good Without God?
- Are You Less Religious Than Your Parents?
- Can You Pass a Basic Religion Test?
- What Can You Learn From Other Religions?
- Who Is Your Role Model?
- Who Are Your Heroes?
- Who Inspires You?
- What’s the Best Advice You’ve Gotten?
- Who Outside Your Family Has Made a Difference in Your Life?
- If You Had Your Own Talk Show, Whom Would You Want to Interview?
- To Whom, or What, Would You Like to Write a Thank-You Note?
- What Leader Would You Invite to Speak at Your School?
- What Six People, Living or Dead, Would You Invite to Dinner?
- Are You Distracted by Technology?
- Do You Always Have Your Phone or Tablet at Your Side?
- What Tech Tools Play the Biggest Role in Your Life?
- What New Technologies or Tech Toys Are You Most Excited About?
- To What Piece of Technology Would You Write a ‘Love Letter’?
- Does Your Digital Life Have Side Effects?
- Do Apps Help You or Just Waste Your Time?
- Do You Spend Too Much Time on Smart Phones Playing ‘Stupid Games’?
- When Do You Choose Making a Phone Call Over Sending a Text?
- Do You Know How to Code? Would You Like to Learn?
- Whom Would You Share Your Passwords With?
- What Are Your Favorite Video Games?
- What Have You Learned Playing Video Games?
- Do You Play Violent Video Games?
- When Should You Feel Guilty for Killing Zombies?
- Who Are Your Opponents in Online Gaming?
- Do You Like Watching Other People Play Video Games?
- How Careful Are You Online?
- Do You Ever Seek Advice on the Internet?
- How Do You Know if What You Read Online Is True?
- How Much Do You Trust Online Reviews?
- How Do You Use Wikipedia?
- What Are Your Favorite Internet Spoofs?
- What Are Your Favorite Viral Videos?
- What Would You Teach the World in an Online Video?
- What Are Your Experiences With Internet-Based Urban Legends?
- What Story Does Your Personal Data Tell?
- Do You Worry About the Lack of Anonymity in the Digital Age?
- Do You Wish You Had More Privacy Online?
- Have You Ever Been Scammed?
- How Do You Use Facebook?
- What Is Your Facebook Persona?
- What Memorable Experiences Have You Had on Facebook?
- Does Facebook Ever Make You Feel Bad?
- Would You Consider Deleting Your Facebook Account?
- Do You Have ‘Instagram Envy’?
- Do You Use Twitter?
- Why Do You Share Photos?
- How Do You Archive Your Life?
- Have You Ever Posted, Emailed or Texted Something You Wish You Could Take Back?
- Have You Ever Sent an Odd Message Because of Auto-Correct?
- Would You Want Your Photo or Video to Go Viral?
- Do You Worry Colleges or Employers Might Read Your Social Media Posts Someday?
- What Are You Listening To?
- Who in Your Life Introduces You to New Music?
- How Much Is Your Taste in Music Based on What Your Friends Like?
- What Music Inspires You?
- How Closely Do You Listen to Lyrics?
- Which Pop Music Stars Fascinate You?
- Who Is Your Favorite Pop Diva?
- What’s Your Karaoke Song?
- What Song/Artist Pairings Would You Like to Hear?
- What Were the Best Movies You Saw in the Past Year?
- What Movies Do You Watch, or Reference, Over and Over?
- What Movies, Shows or Books Do You Wish Had Sequels, Spinoffs or New Episodes?
- Do You Like Horror Movies?
- Who Are Your Favorite Movie Stars?
- Would You Pay Extra for a 3-D Movie?
- What Is Your Favorite Comedy?
- What Are the Best Live Theatrical Performances You’ve Ever Seen?
- Have You Ever Stumbled Upon a Cool Public Performance?
- What Role Does Television Play in Your Life and the Life of Your Family?
- What Television Shows Have Mattered to You?
- Do Your Television Viewing Habits Include ‘Binge-Watching’?
- How Often Do You Watch a Television Show When It Originally Airs?
- What Old Television Shows Would You Bring Back?
- Why Do We Like Reality Shows So Much?
- What Ideas Do You Have for a Reality Show?
- What Are Your Favorite Commercials?
- How Much Are You Influenced by Advertising?
- Read Any Good Books Lately?
- Do You Read for Pleasure?
- What Are Your Favorite Books and Authors?
- What Are the Best Things You’ve Read, Watched, Heard or Played This Year?
- What Are Your Favorite Young Adult Novels?
- What’s on Your Summer Reading List?
- What Memorable Poetry Have You Ever Read or Heard?
- What Are Your Favorite Cartoons?
- What Magazines Do You Read, and How Do You Read Them?
- Do You Enjoy Reading Tabloid Gossip?
- When Have You Seen Yourself and Your Life Reflected in a Book or Other Media?
- Do You Prefer Your Children’s Book Characters Obedient or Contrary?
- Do You Read E-Books?
- Would You Trade Your Paper Books for Digital Versions?
- To What Writer Would You Award a Prize?
- Why Do You Write?
- Do You Keep a Diary or Journal?
- Do You Have a Blog?
- Do You Want to Write a Book?
- When Do You Write by Hand?
- Do You Write in Cursive?
- Do You Write in Your Books?
- What ‘Mundane Moments’ From Your Life Might Make Great Essay Material?
- What’s the Coolest Thing You’ve Ever Seen in a Museum?
- What Are the Most Memorable Works of Visual Art You Have Seen?
- What Are Your Favorite Works of Art?
- What Are Your Favorite and Least Favorite Words?
- What Words or Phrases Do You Think Are Overused?
- How Much Slang Do You Use? What Are Your Favorite (Printable) Words?
- How Much Do You Curse? Why?
- Why Do So Many People Say ‘Like’ and ‘Totally’ All the Time?
- Do You Sometimes ‘Hide’ Behind Irony?
- How Good Is Your Grammar?
- What New Emoticons Does the World Need?
- Are You Fluent in Vocal Fry, Creaky Voice or Uptalk?
- How Much Information Is ‘Too Much Information’?
- When Did You Last Have a Great Conversation?
- Do You Speak a Second, or Third, Language?
- When Do You Remember Learning a New Word?
- Do You Like School?
- What Are You Really Learning at School?
- What Are You Looking Forward To, or Dreading, This School Year?
- Would You Want to Be Home-Schooled?
- Would You Like to Take a Class Online?
- Would You Rather Attend a Public or a Private High School?
- How Would You Grade Your School?
- What Can Other Schools Learn — and Copy — From Your School?
- Is Your School Day Too Short?
- What Do You Hope to Get Out of High School?
- Do You Have Too Much Homework?
- Does Your Homework Help You Learn?
- What Is Your Best Subject?
- What Memorable Experiences Have You Had in Learning Science or Math?
- Are You Afraid of Math?
- Do We Need a New Way to Teach Math?
- What Are the Best Ways to Learn About History?
- How Would You Do on a Civics Test?
- How Important Is Arts Education?
- What Is Your Most Memorable Writing Assignment?
- What Would You Like to Have Memorized?
- Does Your School Value Students’ Digital Skills?
- What Was Your Favorite Field Trip?
- Do You Participate in Class?
- What Are Your Best Tips for Studying?
- Do You Use Study Guides?
- Is Everything You’ve Been Taught About Study Habits Wrong?
- How Well Do You Think Standardized Tests Measure Your Abilities?
- Do You Have a Tutor?
- Are Your Grades Inflated?
- When Has a Teacher Inspired You?
- What Teacher Do You Appreciate?
- What Teacher Would You Like to Thank?
- What Do You Wish Your Teachers Knew About You?
- Do Your Test Scores Reflect How Good Your Teachers Are?
- Do Your Teachers Use Technology Well?
- What Role Do School Clubs and Teams Play in Your Life?
- Who Has the Power in School Social Life?
- How Big a Problem Is Bullying or Cyberbullying in Your School or Community?
- Does Your School Seem Integrated?
- What’s the Racial Makeup of Your School?
- Do You Ever ‘Mix It Up’ and Socialize With Different People at School?
- Can Students at Your School Talk Openly About Their Mental Health Issues?
- Is Your School a ‘Party School’?
- How Common Is Drug Use in Your School?
- Do You Know People Who Cheat on High-Stakes Tests?
- How Does Your School Deal With Students Who Misbehave?
- How Much Does Your Life in School Intersect With Your Life Outside School?
- Would You Ever Go Through Hazing to Be Part of a Group?
- Where Do You Want to Go to College?
- What Are Your Sources for Information About Colleges and Universities?
- Is College Overrated?
- How Much Does the SAT or ACT Matter in Your Life?
- What Personal Essay Topic Would You Assign to College Applicants?
- What Qualities Would You Look For in a College Roommate?
- What Would You Do With a Gap Year?
- What Makes a Graduation Ceremony Memorable?
- How Do You Feel About Proms?
- What Are Your Longtime Interests or Passions?
- Do You Have a Life Calling?
- What Do You Want to Do With Your Life?
- Do You Think You Will Have a Career That You Love?
- What Investment Are You Willing to Make to Get Your Dream Job?
- Would You Consider a Nontraditional Occupation?
- Would You Want to Be a Teacher?
- What Hidden Talents Might You Have?
- What Do You Hope to Be Doing the Year After You Graduate From College?
- Would You Rather Work From Home or in an Office?
- What Career or Technical Classes Do You Wish Your School Offered?
- What ‘Back-to-the-Land’ Skills Do You Have, or Wish You Had?
- What Have You Made Yourself?
- What Would You Create if You Had Funding?
- How Did You Start Doing Something You Love?
- Did You Ever Take a Break From Doing Something You Love?
- What Have You Done to Earn Money?
- Do You Have a Job?
- Would You Quit if Your Values Did Not Match Your Employer’s?
- What Are Your Attitudes Toward Money?
- Can Money Buy You Happiness?
- Where Do You See Yourself in 10 Years?
- What Do You Want to Be Doing When You’re 80?
- Do You Want to Live to 100?
- What Do You Want Your Obituary to Say?
- Have You Ever Been in Love?
- What Are the Most Meaningful Relationships in Your Life?
- What Advice Would You Give to Somebody Who Just Started Dating?
- What Are the Basic ‘Rules’ for Handling Breakups?
- What Are Your Beliefs About Marriage?
- Are You Allowed to Date?
- Is Dating a Thing of the Past?
- Do You Have a Best Friend?
- How Do You Feel About Introducing Friends from Different Parts of Your Life?
- How Should You Handle the End of a Friendship?
- How Often Do You Have ‘Deep Discussions’?
- Do You Like to Exercise?
- How Has Exercise Changed Your Health, Your Body or Your Life?
- Why Do You Play Sports?
- What Is the Most Memorable Sporting Event You’ve Ever Watched or Played In?
- What’s the Most Impressive Sports Moment You’ve Seen?
- When Has a Sports Team Most Disappointed You?
- What Sports Teams Do You Root For?
- Does Being a Fan Help Define Who You Are?
- How Far Would You Go to Express Loyalty to Your Favorite Teams?
- What Fan Memorabilia Would You Pay Big Bucks For?
- What Rules Would You Like to See Changed in Your Favorite Sports?
- What Game Would You Like to Redesign?
- What Are Your Favorite Games?
- Where in the World Would You Travel if You Could?
- What Is Your Fantasy Vacation?
- What Would Your Fantasy Road Trip Be Like?
- What Crazy Adventure Would You Want to Take?
- How Has Travel Affected You?
- What Famous Landmarks Have You Visited?
- What’s the Coolest Thing You’ve Ever Seen in Nature?
- What Are the Best Souvenirs You’ve Ever Collected While Traveling?
- Would You Like to Live in Another Country?
- Would You Want to Be a Space Tourist?
Coming of Age
Community and Home
Gender and Sexuality
Morality and Religion
Technology and Video Games
Movies, Theater and Television
Reading, Writing and Fine Arts
Language and Speech
School and Teachers
School Social Environment
Senior Year, College and Applications
Work and Careers
Dating and Friendship
Sports, Exercise and Games
Looks, Fashion and Health