Case Study Template Health
Case Study Report Documents
Definition of a case study report
A case study report is an article that describes a particular patient's diagnosis and treatment plan. Most of the cases chosen for published medical case studies are of unusual diagnoses, or include complications in treatment. A case study report is written in a specific format and can be submitted to peer-reviewed journals. To write a case study report, the following steps need to be undertaken:
1. Generate a Barwon Health reference number
2. Select a case
- Case reports are written about patients who have rare or unusual illnesses, or where a treatment plan has an unexpected positive or negative outcome - get support from your line manager and advise the Research Ethics, Governance & Integrity (REGI) Unit.
3. Research the case/literature review
4. Provide patient information and seek consent
- The patient who is the focus of the medical case study report must provide written consent (many journals have their own consent forms that must be completed and signed by the patient before the report is submitted) - provide the patient with the Participant Explanatory Statement and seek the patient's consent by providing the patient with the Participant Consent Form
- The consent is to use both patients' data for the purposes of publication, and to access the medical records, including other organisations if required
- Gather the patient's demographic information (age, medical history, medication use, current and past diagnoses, etc.), and provide detailed information about the patient so the audience will be well informed about the case
- Collect relevant copies of the patient's labs, x-rays, or any clinical photographs.
5. Write the medical case study report
- Follow the standard format for the report, as outlined in the Case Study Report Template, sign the Researcher(s) Declaration, and submit to the REGI Unit.
6. Submit your medical case study report to the appropriate professional journal
7. Keep your source records
- Keep a clear record of the progress in writing up the case, in the event of queries or audits - records are usually stored at least one year after publication, or longer in some cases.
Introduction – KfH Impact Tools – What and for whom? – Definitions – Methods – Tools – References
Value and Impact Toolkit > KfH Impact Tools > Case Study Template
Can be used to capture and summarise the outcome of interviews in an effective way. The information can be used for advocacy, marketing and promotion of LKS
C1a. Case study template
C1b. Case study template protected in ‘forms‘ format
Note: Password protected document for services to distribute.
The password for LKS to change the field wording is “Impact 2017”
C1c. Case Study Update form
Note: To be used for providing updates to impact case studies already posted on the KfH Impact Database
C2. A completed case study example
C3. Brief guidance on using the case study template
Further guidance on using the tools
Guidance on obtaining consent
Frequently asked questions
We encourage you to submit your completed case studies here
We welcome comments and feedback. Please do not hesitate tocontact us